Saturday, August 23, at 10 a.m.
Did you Know?
- Beets: boil until tender, slip the skins, serve slightly warm. See recipes below and from last week.
- Eggplant: slice and put on the grill or skillet—brush with olive oil and soy sauce
- Onions: Walla Wallas in particular, but others as well—brown in the skillet with some butter and enjoy the sweet mild flavor with almost any other meal.
- Cucumbers: great for munching on plain, but also see cuke/tomato salad recipe from last week.
Roasted Beets-- from Teri’s Kitchen
· 1-1/2 pounds medium red beets, peeled and quartered
· 3 tablespoons olive oil
· 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
· Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375° F. Place the beets in a small roasting or baking dish in one layer. Drizzle with the oil. Add the garlic, salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Roast until fork-tender, about 30 minutes. Serve hot or room temperature.
Note: If you can get baby beets, roast them whole with the peel on. The peel will slip off easily when cooked.